Senior Partner at Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández and member of the Firm’s Management Committee. Mr. Senior concentrates his practice in matters of civil, commercial and business organizational laws generally, with an emphasis on mergers & acquisitions, banking and financial transactions and foreign investment.
Mr. Senior’s practice has been recognized by several international publications. Chambers & Partners distinguishes Mr. Senior in its 2021 Corporate/Commercial guide, noting that clients state that he is a “great lawyer with a lot of experience acting on major transactions” and “is really great to work with; he is fantastically knowledgeable and experienced”. Chambers & Partners 2021 also ranks Mr. Senior in its Real Estate & Tourism guide, noting “his practice on the transactional side of real estate, often representing banks and investors financing tourism projects. One client says:
“Jaime is intelligent and provides top-level service and advice.””
The IFLR 1000 – Financial & Corporate 2021 guide cites client feedback on Mr. Senior in distinguishing him as the only “Market Leader” in the Dominican Republic in banking and M&A, noting that he was “one of the most professional lawyers that I have work with. Knows the business very well. Excellent human relations.” The IFLR 1000 – Energy & Infrastructure guide praises that Mr. Senior’s energy and infrastructure practice, noting that client feedback such as “he was always available, he took on a very complex transaction in a unique area of law and showed himself very willing to learn new material in order to apply his advice. He was quite commercial in his approach in addition to providing strict legal advice which was useful.”
LatinLawyer 250 – 2020 notes that Mr. Senior is a “high profile figure in the practice” and notes that “Senior’s experience in energy transactions ensures the team works a lot on project finance transactions”. Finally, The Legal 500 – 2021 praises Mr. Senior as a “key name of note” in the Corporate and Finance space and notes several transactions which he has led. The same guide also notes that he is an “active commercial litigator” in the Dispute Resolution practice and commenting that he “is well known for his expertise in corporate matters” in Real Estate and Tourism.
In his practice, Mr. Senior regularly counsels foreign and domestic clients in mergers and acquisitions, the negotiation of all types of commercial agreements, tax matters, financings, corporate reorganizations as well as tourism and industrial free zones investments. Additionally, Mr. Senior is experienced in the supervision and strategy of dispute resolution matters, with an emphasis on disputes related to foreign investment.
Prior to joining Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández as a partner, Mr. Senior worked for six years as an associate in the New York office of Sidley Austin LLP. Mr. Senior was a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions, Latin America Practice, Private Equity and Investment Funds, Advisers and Derivatives practice groups.
During his time at Sidley, Mr. Senior’s practice was focused on counseling international firms and investors in mergers and acquisitions in the United States and in Latin America. Mr. Senior also represented financial institutions and sponsors in the organization, operation and investment-related aspects of private equity funds, with a focus on Latin America. He also served as creditor’s counsel in a number of restructuring and distressed transactions in all regions of the world. Finally, he has had experience in capital markets transactions, loan origination transactions and structured finance matters.
- Counsel to Vinci Airports SAS in the acquisition of Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglo XXI, S.A. (Aerodom), operator of 6 airports in the Dominican Republic, including the airport in the capital city of Santo Domingo.
- Counsel to Centro Financiero BHD in its merger with Grupo Financiero León, one of the largest and most important transactions in the history of the Dominican financial sector. The transaction involved assets of over US$4 billion. Finalist for the “Latin America M&A Deal of the Year – Latin Lawer”.
- Counsel to CIFI (Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura) and the Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Libre para el Desarrollo de Infraestructuras Dominicanas I on a US$37 million secured project financing facility to Emerald Solar Energy S.R.L. finance the operation of a 25.0 MW photovoltaic power plant located in the Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to Grupo Cisneros in the financing (through a multilateral loan agreement for up to US$170 million) and the development of the tourist project Tropicalia – Four Seasons.
- Represented Imperial Brands PLC in its reorganization, spinoff and sale of its premium cigar business in the Dominican Republic, in a transaction valued at US$208 million.
- Counsel to Banco BHD León and the Bank of Nova Scotia in a project finance loan extended to Haina International Terminals.
- Counsel to the Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI) in its issuance of US$50 million in bonds as a differentiated issuer in the local securities market.
- Representation of an international manufacturer in ongoing international arbitration and Dominican court disputes related to termination of a distribution agreement.
- Counsel to The Bank of Nova Scotia in a US$463 million project finance loan extended to Phoenix Tower International and Phoenix Tower Dominicana.
- Counsel to The Bank of Nova Scotia in a US$50 million project finance loan extended to Coastal Petroleum Dominicana.
- Counsel to Royal Gold, Inc., in a US$610 million minerals streaming transaction entered into with Barrick Gold, Inc., with reference to the Pueblo Viejo mine in the Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to Third Point and Discovery Land Company in their acquisition and project development of the Playa Grande Golf Resort.
- Acted as Dominican Republic legal counsel to Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc. for the restructuring of its local business operations, carried out in connection with the acquisition by Energizer Holdings, Inc. of Spectrum´s global battery, lighting and portable power business.
- Represented MercaSID, S.A., in the acquisition of Unilever’s domestic manufacturing plant and related assets with respect to the cleaning and detergent business.
- Counsel to Citiinversiones de Títulos Valores, S.A., as underwriter and structuring agent, in two US$100 million bond issuances by EGE Haina in the Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to Citibank, N.A., Sucursal República Dominicana, as administrative and structuring agent of a US$80 million syndicated loan extended to Consorcio Minero Dominicano.
- Counsel to Grupo BHD in the purchase of shares in Centro Financiero BHD held by Banco de Sabadell in a transaction with a value of over US$150 million.
- Counsel to Point Blank Enterprises in its establishment as a free zone enterprise in the Dominican Republic as well as certain other related matters.
- Counsel to a South America-based conglomerate in the acquisition of the Manzanillo Port in the Province of Montecristi, Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to an international manufacturer of products regarding its review and planning of litigation strategy for products liability matters.
- Counsel to several international financial institutions regarding operations and services in the Dominican Republic.
Professional Activities and Publications
- Treasurer of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Young Business Leaders (ANJE) and Chair of the Legal Committee of such institution.
- Member of the Board of the Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution of the Chamber of Commerce of Santo Domingo.
- Chair of the Dominican Republic Country Chapter of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Member of the Executive Committee of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Weekly columnist for the “El Dinero” financial newspaper regarding legal and financial matters (“Econolegales”).
- Professor of Banking Law in the Banking Administration Master’s Program of INTEC University (Santo Domingo).
- Professor of Torts Law at the Post-Graduate Program at the Universidad Iberoamericana (Santo Domingo).
- Co-author of “Banking and Securities Checklists (Dominican Republic)”, published by Law In Context (2016).
- Co-author of “Getting the Deal Through – Restructuring & Insolvency 2018” (Dominican Republic”.
- Co-author of “Getting the Deal Through – Products Liability 2016” (Dominican Republic”.
- Contributing author, “Doing Business Guide – Dominican Republic”, published by IFLR1000 (2015).
- Contributing author, “Dispute Resolution – Dominican Republic: An Introduction”, published by Chambers & Partners (2014).