Senior Partner at Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández and member of the Firm’s Management Committee. Mr. Senior concentrates his practice in matters of civil, commercial and business organizational laws generally, with an emphasis on mergers & acquisitions, banking and financial transactions and foreign investment.
Mr. Senior’s practice has been recognized by several international publications. Chambers & Partners distinguishes Mr. Senior as among the top lawyers in the country in its most recent Corporate/Commercial guide, noting that clients state that “he is an impeccable lawyer with great legal skills. He is a professional who inspires respect and trust, and it is a pleasure working with him” and that other clients go on to add “Jaime Senior is excellent. He boasts a deep knowledge of the regulatory environment in the Dominican Republic, coupled with a keen commercial sensibility.” Chambers & Partners 2023 also ranks Mr. Senior in its Real Estate & Tourism guide, noting that he “is instrumental when working with international counterparts,” adding “He has a lot of experience and knowledge and also pays a great deal of attention to his clients”, and further noting that he “is a detail-oriented lawyer who is always looking to find solutions to your problems.”
The IFLR 1000 – Financial & Corporate 2022 guide cites client feedback on Mr. Senior in distinguishing him as the only “Market Leader” in the Dominican Republic in banking and mergers and acquisitions, noting that he was “one of the most professional lawyers that I have work with. Knows the business very well. Excellent human relations.” The IFLR 1000 – Energy & Infrastructure guide praises that Mr. Senior’s energy and infrastructure practice, noting that client feedback such as “he was always available, he took on a very complex transaction in a unique area of law and showed himself very willing to learn new material in order to apply his advice. He was quite commercial in his approach in addition to providing strict legal advice which was useful.”
LatinLawyer 250 – 2022 notes that Mr. Senior is a “high profile figure in the practice” and notes that “Senior’s experience in energy transactions ensures the team works a lot on project finance transactions”. Finally, The Legal 500 – 2022 praises Mr. Senior as a “Leading Individual” in the Corporate and Finance space and notes several transactions which he has led. The same guide also distinguishes his practice in Banking and Finance (a “stand out practitioner”), Real Estate and Tourism (“professionally very competent, always responds attentively to any questions and manages to create a very constructive relationship of trust with the client.”), Energy and Natural Resources (“very knowledgeable about the law and is also very business-oriented and capable of providing sensible advice to resolve the client’s problems”) and Tax matters (“a name of note”).
In his practice, Mr. Senior regularly counsels foreign and domestic clients in mergers and acquisitions, the negotiation of all types of commercial agreements, tax matters, financings, corporate reorganizations as well as tourism and industrial free zones investments. Additionally, Mr. Senior is experienced in the supervision and strategy of dispute resolution matters, with an emphasis on disputes related to foreign investment.
Mr. Senior holds a law degree of Doctor en Derecho, Summa cum Laude from the Universidad Iberoamericana in Santo Domingo, and a Juris Doctor from Cornell University Law School, and is admitted to practice in the State of New York. Prior to joining Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández as a partner, Mr. Senior worked for six years as an associate in the New York office of Sidley Austin LLP. Mr. Senior was a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions, Latin America Practice, Private Equity and Investment Funds practice groups.
During his time at Sidley, Mr. Senior’s practice was focused on counseling international firms and investors in mergers and acquisitions in the United States and in Latin America. Mr. Senior also represented financial institutions and sponsors in the organization, operation and investment-related aspects of private equity funds, with a focus on Latin America. He also served as creditor’s counsel in a number of restructuring and distressed transactions in all regions of the world. Finally, he has had experience in capital markets transactions, loan origination transactions and structured finance matters.
- Counsel to Vinci Airports SAS in the acquisition of Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglo XXI, S.A. (Aerodom), operator of 6 airports in the Dominican Republic, including the airport in the capital city of Santo Domingo.
- Counsel to Centro Financiero BHD in its merger with Grupo Financiero León, one of the largest and most important transactions in the history of the Dominican financial sector. The transaction involved assets of over US$4 billion. Finalist for the “Latin America M&A Deal of the Year – Latin Lawer”.
- Represented CIFI (Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura) and the Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Libre para el Desarrollo de Infraestructuras Dominicanas I in a landmark Dominican Peso denominated loan in the amount of RD$3.7 billion extended to the owners of Blue Mall (a high-end shopping mall in Santo Domingo) and the JW Marriott Santo Domingo (a top hotel in the city).
- Counsel to Inversiones Popular and Banco Popular Dominicana, as arrangers and underwriters, and EGE Haina, as issuer, in the first of its kind issuance of “green bonds” in the Dominican securities market, for a total amount of US$100 million.
- Represented STOA Infrastructure and Energy, a French renewable infrastructure investment fund, in its investment in a 100MW wind farm project, called Los Guzmancito, including for its expansion, valued at US$128 million, and the multilateral financing associated with the project.
- Counsel to CIFI (Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura) and the Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Libre para el Desarrollo de Infraestructuras Dominicanas I on a US$37 million secured project financing facility to Emerald Solar Energy S.R.L. finance the operation of a 25.0 MW photovoltaic power plant located in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented Imperial Brands PLC in its reorganization, spinoff and sale of its premium cigar business in the Dominican Republic, in a transaction valued at US$208 million.
- Counsel to Integer Holdings in its US$220 million acquisition of Oscor Caribe, a medical device company with extensive operations and manufacturing facilities in the Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to Grupo Cisneros in the financing (through a multilateral loan agreement for up to US$170 million) and the development of the tourist project Tropicalia – Four Seasons.
- Counsel to Banco BHD León and the Bank of Nova Scotia in a project finance loan extended to Haina International Terminals.
Counsel to the Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI) in its issuance of US$50 million in bonds as a differentiated issuer in the local securities market.
- Counsel to The Bank of Nova Scotia in a US$463 million project finance loan extended to Phoenix Tower International and Phoenix Tower Dominicana.
- Counsel to Royal Gold, Inc., in a US$610 million minerals streaming transaction entered into with Barrick Gold, Inc., with reference to the Pueblo Viejo mine in the Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to Third Point and Discovery Land Company in their acquisition and project development of the Playa Grande Golf Resort.
Representation of an international manufacturer in ongoing international arbitration and Dominican court disputes related to termination of a distribution agreement.
- Counsel to The Bank of Nova Scotia in a US$50 million project finance loan extended to Coastal Petroleum Dominicana.
- Acted as Dominican Republic legal counsel to Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc. for the restructuring of its local business operations, carried out in connection with the acquisition by Energizer Holdings, Inc. of Spectrum´s global battery, lighting and portable power business.
- Represented MercaSID, S.A., in the acquisition of Unilever’s domestic manufacturing plant and related assets with respect to the cleaning and detergent business.
- Counsel to Citiinversiones de Títulos Valores, S.A., as underwriter and structuring agent, in two US$100 million bond issuances by EGE Haina in the Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to Citibank, N.A., Sucursal República Dominicana, as administrative and structuring agent of a US$80 million syndicated loan extended to Consorcio Minero Dominicano.
- Counsel to Grupo BHD in the purchase of shares in Centro Financiero BHD held by Banco de Sabadell in a transaction with a value of over US$150 million.
- Counsel to Point Blank Enterprises in its establishment as a free zone enterprise in the Dominican Republic as well as certain other related matters.
- Counsel to a South America-based conglomerate in the acquisition of the Manzanillo Port in the Province of Montecristi, Dominican Republic.
- Counsel to an international manufacturer of products regarding its review and planning of litigation strategy for products liability matters.
- Counsel to several international financial institutions regarding operations and services in the Dominican Republic.
Professional Activities and Publications
- Vicepresident of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Young Business Leaders (ANJE) and Chair of the Legal Committee of such institution.
- Member of the Board of the Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution of the Chamber of Commerce of Santo Domingo.
- Chair of the Dominican Republic Country Chapter of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Member of the Executive Committee of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Weekly columnist for the “El Dinero” financial newspaper regarding legal and financial matters (“Econolegales”).
- Professor of Banking Law in the Banking Administration Master’s Program of INTEC University (Santo Domingo).
- Professor of Torts Law at the Post-Graduate Program at the Universidad Iberoamericana (Santo Domingo).